Edinburgh - 0131 228 2083
Glasgow - 0141 248 6552

McGill & Co is a Scottish immigration law firm specialising in UK immigration, nationality and refugee law.

EU Settlement Scheme: Impact of Coronavirus Update 16th April 2020

16 April 2020 Grace McGill Blog

 

Following on from our recent blog post https://www.mcgillandco.co.uk/blog/eu-settlement-scheme-impact-of-coronavirus.html

Updated statistics have today been released from Home Office covering the period to end March 2020.

Number of applications received

The number of applications received in March 2020 was 125,000, of which 6,500 were received in Scotland

Overall, the total number of applications received up to 31 March 2020 was more than 3.4 million (3,468,700).

Number of applications concluded

The number of applications concluded in March 2020 was 148,800. Of these, 52% were granted settled status and 42% were granted pre-settled status. Of the remaining applications, 4,800 received a withdrawn or void outcome, 3,300 were invalid, and 300 were refused4. Of the refusals, the vast majority (more than 99%) were refused on eligibility grounds5, and the remainder (less than 1%) were refused on suitability grounds6.

Overall, as of 31 March 2020, the total number of applications that have been concluded was more than 3.1 million (3,147,000). Of these, 58% were granted settled status and 41% were granted pre-settled status. Of the remaining applications, 23,900 received a withdrawn or void outcome, 10,000 were invalid and 600 were refused. Of the total refusals, 98% were refused on eligibility grounds and 2% were refused on suitability grounds.

In February 2020, the Home Office began refusing EU Settlement Scheme applications on eligibility grounds. Many of these eligibility refusals relate to cases that had been under consideration for several months and, in most cases, subject to repeated unsuccessful attempts to obtain missing evidence or information from the applicant.

Source : https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/879569/eu-settlement-scheme-statistics-march-2020.pdf

Eligibility and Suitability

A valid application can be refused on eligibility or suitability grounds where it does not meet the eligibility or suitability criteria for the scheme, set out in Appendix EU to the Immigration Rules. For more information, please consult the EU Settlement Scheme statistics user guide.

The eligibility criteria are met where the applicant is able to satisfactorily prove that they are eligible for leave under the scheme, for example that they have a continuous qualifying period of UK residence that began before the end of the transition period, or that they have (or had) a family relationship with a relevant EEA citizen (see Appendix EU to the Immigration Rules for more information).

The suitability criteria are met where the applicant is not subject to a deportation or exclusion order, has not breached the relevant thresholds for serious or persistent criminality, and has not submitted false or misleading information or documentation in their application (see Appendix EU to the Immigration Rules for more information).

 

Call now

Testimonials

Average rating for Our Testimonials, McGill & Co is 5 Star of 5 stars - based on 81 Review

Make an enquiry

Please let us know your name.
Please let us know your email address.
Please enter a valid phone number
Please let us know the nature of your enquiry
Please let us know your message.
How did you hear about us?

Please tell us your preferred office

Invalid Input

Latest Tweets